Friday 11 March 2011

Hello World, It's Good To Be Back

What a few weeks it's been. February is always busy because we have family birthdays and of course St Valentine's Day, all in a short space, and there was the half term holiday, so we were off to stay in St Germain En Laye with my sister-in-law. And the girls had various activities to do before we went away - you know the scene - lots of things happening, lots of planning to do to keep on top - normal busy life.

Then just one day before my birthday, I started to cough. A persistent, nagging little brute that just wouldn't let up. The joke here is that for practically my entire childhood, I was ill on my birthday. As the cough took hold, I shared a small smile with my Mum - I knew she'd understand. Well that was three weeks ago, and today is the first time since then that I can honestly say that I'm starting to feel better. Not actually well, but at last I feel that I will be better.

It has been awful. A chest infection you really wouldn't want your worst enemy to endure.

But today is different and at last I can see the light at the end of the tunnel. I almost feel spring-like. I certainly feel the need to get outside - I've barely left my bed for the last two weeks, so it's high time I was out and about.

Today I feel like making plans. This is an excellent sign because for the last few days, I've been almost too scared to plan anything. Now I know I'm on the mend.

Recalled to life, as Dickens would have had it.

But it hasn't all been doom and gloom. One of the joys of enforced rest is that you get to watch TV that you'd normally miss. So I had the pleasure of My LIfe In Books - what a treat! Sister Wendy Beckett managed to give me new reading ideas - I'm waiting for some of her recommendations to come back into stock at Amazon - Jeanette Winterson got a new fan, The Dowager Duchess of Devonshire remains a hero.  I also watched endless Time Teams, all of which I just adore - better than medicine. Oh and something called Put Your Money Where Your Mouth Is - another antiques show format. I love it - not so much for the actual stuff they find, but more to see how the different people approach negotiations - I think I've learned quite a lot.

So all in all, not the February/birthday I'd have ordered, but now that I'm on the mend, I can at least say that  it hasn't been a total waste of time.

It's good to be back.

No comments:

Post a Comment