Thursday 11 November 2010

Yet Another Wet & Windy Morning.

There's always a deep sense of sadness on Remembrance Day, and somehow even the weather today has decided to go along with the mood of grey depression. It's been blowing a gale and raining for hours. As I write this, I'm watching a lady struggle down the street with her umbrella trying hard to turn itself inside out.

I'm not normally too badly affected by wet weather, but we've had a lot of deeply grey days over the last couple of weeks and I think it's beginning to seep into my soul. This morning has found me moping around the house, not settling to anything much and for no good reason, other than that I simply feel low. I wander if we're meant to hibernate? It's certainly what I feel most like doing right now.

It's days like this that make me glad I'm not out in the corporate world, because if the urge to snuggle up  on the sofa with a hot drink and a crossword should become too compelling, there's nobody to stop me doing just that. On the other hand, if I had to be out there 'doing' something, I wouldn't be moping at all.

From past experience, I know that this glumness isn't likely to last very long - thank goodness. Quite often although I'll feel that I've wasted a day, come the evening I get a sudden boost and find I can actually get things done. So I'm hoping that's what will happen today.

Having said all that, I have achieved one thing this morning - I've managed to press out thirty clay Christmas tree shapes, ready to make into cards and bookmarks, number two daughter can sell at her forthcoming school Christmas Fayre.  We had a bit of an experiment last week and were sufficiently happy with the results to go for it on a larger scale. That's not something I could have done in the corporate world either.

Do you have any foolproof ways to get your motivation back on track? I've read umpteen books on the subject, most of which I think I can summarise as 'just get on with it'. Although last week I read Tom Hodgkinson's book, HOW TO BE FREE and so I'm now wandering if I should even worry at all about not being productive. Maybe it's entirely natural to just want to cuddle up with a blanket and do nothing.

Oh and one more thing, if you're affected by low light levels, put back your old energy inefficient light bulbs. Ditch the nasty new bulbs. I've recently replaced two blown energy efficient bulbs - yep, they don't last that long do they - in the kitchen, with the old type and guess what, it feels like a summer's day in there. Tells me something - I NEED LIGHT!

Right, off to sit in the kitchen now.

No comments:

Post a Comment