Friday 22 October 2010

Half Term Looming - Good Luck Everyone!

Well, it's here - the half-term school holiday.

It's a time of mixed emotions in this house. I love having the children at home some of the time. I adore not having to get up before dawn to make sandwiches, iron school shirts and check all the homework gets packed away into the school bags. I appreciate an extra half hour in bed in the morning.

But if you can't take time out of your work, you're left with the difficult job of entertaining your children, while also - sometimes simultaneously, getting on with your job.

It's exhausting when your children are young. You can't leave them alone, you feel guilty if they watch too much TV, you want to spend quality time with them, but you've got deadlines too. As they get older, you can hope for a little more respite. If you're really lucky, they'll want to spend time away at friend's houses.

When my children were very small, I used to try and work in the evenings, after they had gone to bed, but usually I was so tired after a full day with them, that all I wanted to do was sleep too.

Now I'm a bit more relaxed about it. I've found that what works best for us, is to allocate certain days when I don't work, or at least parts of days, and then I let them find their own entertainment on the days when I do have things that have to be done.

A few cooperative friends are a godsend too, and if at all possible, I reciprocate as soon as possible.

So I'd like to wish all work from home and work alone mums out there a very happy week. Don't get too stressed, and be kind to yourself. It's only for a few days, then, guess what - we'll have the prospect of Christmas to look forward too!


No comments:

Post a Comment