Thursday 7 October 2010

I love Barbara Sher

About a year ago, I came across the books of Barbara Sher on Amazon. I'd just like to say an enormous 'THANK YOU' to Barbara because I think she's revolutionised my life. Her book Wishcraft: How to Get What You Really Want has been around for over thirty years, but I'd never heard about it before - how I wish I had! Discovering it has made such a difference to me.


Barbara gives you the very best career and life advise I've come across - and I've read loads. Not only is what she says practical, it's also supportive in a way that just inspires you to believe in yourself, get out there and have a go at really living.


If you're wondering about your own potential, if you want to do something everyone else says is stupid, or if you need putting back on track after a big event such as redundancy, or bereavement, or perhaps like me, your children have left that dependent state and you find yourself wondering how to fill the time, then read Barbara's books.


One of the characters she identifies is the 'Scanner'. This is a person who doesn't settle into one career or one interest alone. Instead, Scanners love to try out loads of things. They have lots of ideas, lots of hobbies and get excited by many things. However a Scanner can get bored quickly and move on to the next exciting new idea, which is why both Scanners and people around them, sometimes see themselves as failures.


In our society, generally only people who 'stick at it' and become experts in a single area are seen as being successful - think doctors, lawyers.


For Scanners, sticking at anything for longer than you feel enthusiasm is almost impossible, or at least it won't make you happy. Barbara helps you see the value in your approach and suggests ways to achieve what you want in life that will sit well with your own special values.


Her style appeals to me. It's a bit like having a supportive and sympathetic counsellor talking to you, but also a mother or aunt who just has your best interests at heart. 


If you haven't read Barbara's books, give them a go. 





No comments:

Post a Comment